Chase’s Naming Ceremony


Me and Daryl

When you travel you meet some amazing people from all over the world, but you tend to sacrifice friendships back home in order to see the world and experience new cultures. Sometimes you and your friends drift apart, whereas other friends (who show their true colours) completely support you and look forward to the day you finally return so you can swap stories. Daryl is definitely those of those people. I’d kept in touch with him through Facebook (the internet is a wonderful tool) but hadn’t actually seen him in 7 years. So when he invited me to his little boy’s naming ceremony I said I’d be there, as long as I was in the country at the time.

And I am back, albeit in Suffolk whereas Daryl is back in Watford (near London) so it wasn’t as simple as getting a taxi there and back. However I didn’t want to make excuses and decided although it was going to cost me a small fortune, I was going to be there for this once in lifetime event with him and his son.

Luckily for me I managed to get a lift there from my stepdad who happened to be heading in that direction, which saved me a lot of money on a train ticket. I ended up getting there an hour early due to there being very little traffic, so I twiddled my thumbs until everyone arrived.


What was written on the board outside the church.

Daryl knew I was coming, but he still looked happy when he finally saw me outside the church. I’m sure a lot of people who lived a lot closer said they were going to come but came up with flimsy excuses, so I’m sure he was happy to see me come so far for little Chase. Then I started to mingle with guests and get to know them, seeing as I knew very few people there (only some of his immediate family) until it was time for the ceremony to start.

The ceremony was really nice, it only lasted about twenty minutes but I felt privileged to be a part of such an intimate thing. then once it was over and everybody started to chat outside the church I saw a couple of people I went to school with, and it was nice to catch up…

Next it was time to eat buffet food at a country club and drink until we tried to drunkenly make the day about us and/or did something we would regret; I yo-yoed between soft drinks and alcoholic ones because I didn’t fancy being paralytic drunk trying to work out the London Underground system. So I chatted with a few people before going home at 5. I must admit I found it hard to mix with a few people, especially my old school friends. Mainly because they were clearly a close group of friends who spent a lot of time together, and I was the outsider who they hadn’t seen in a decade and a lot of their inside jokes were going over my head, but I was still happy to see them all and they seemed happy enough to see me and ask about what I’d been up to. Mainly the questions were about Thailand as you can imagine…

Before I knew it, it was 5 o’clock and time for me to go home, well…head to Watford Junction anyway. Everyone there thanked me for coming and said fair play for travelling so far. After catching 6 trains and a replacement bus I finally got home at half ten. five and a half bloody hours to get back home. But I wouldn’t have missed it for the world Daryl. Thanks for inviting me to such a small ceremony. I felt so honoured to be one of the few people to be invited to such a personal thing, and I will be forever grateful. Hopefully it won’t be another 7 years until we see each other again…


Chase’s present. I had a mini panic on the way as I’d stolen the picture from Facebook and had visions that this baby wasn’t actually Chase. Fortunately for me it was…




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s